I got this new job and currently I’ve been here for almost a month. Gotta say I hardly feel it cause I’ve been busy with meetings, daily reportings and whatnots. Literally there have been daily meetings (up to 2-3 times a day) and conference calls with the portfolio managers. Draining, but all is well though. Still coping and learning the ropes around here.
I used to be on sell-side (the dark side of the investment banks, they say) but now I’m on the buy-side, specifically focusing on fixed income investments (bond and sukuk).
Apart from the awesome perks and benefits, there are some other things that I like about this new job. Am writing it here as part of my gratitude project (one thing that I promise to myself to constantly do).
– Opportunities to travel / attachment programs with the fund managers abroad
– Super nice bosses & colleagues. One has to experience dealing with harrowing bosses to appreciate these new superiors.
– New like minded friends. I think I made friends quite easily here, thank God for that.
– Messy but awesome trading desk with Bloomberg terminals just few steps away.
– Plenty of new things and areas to learn. Areas such as Emerging Market debt and Asian debt to look at with the differing geo-political situations, country ratings, potential rates and currencies strategies, etc.
– New phone 🙂
– Trading room is quite after market hours, thus I’m able to study after work
– There are 3 people in the trading room who are currently undertaking CFA. So yeah, glad to have these people to study with.
All in all, I am grateful to land this job. Of course there are few hiccups here and there (to mention a few; the slow bureaucratic process, yikes! and the attendance monitoring system – I have to be present at the office latest at 8.29am, imagine the traffic horror I have to face every morning), I am beyond grateful, nonetheless.